Every now and then, even I come out with a
- "Geeks use resources efficiently: most people can count to 10 on their fingers. I can count to 1023!"
- Larry Lessig: "Code Is Law". Patri: "Law Is Code"
- Most apparent conspiracies result from consistent local self-interest with no need for global coordination.
- "Communism is a political system which looks great on paper...if you can't read."
- "A little communication goes a long way"
- "I hope to at least make new mistakes"
- "There is no idea so true that someone will not take it too far (and apply it too often and too broadly)."
- "Patri's first rule of sex: It's 90% logistics"
- "Community means: when someone asks to borrow a utility knife, you don't ask why"
- "I love entrepreneurship! It's like a complex strategy game that's massively positive sum, so no guilt for playing"
- "While watching one kid, you can sometimes maintain productivity. While watching two, you can sometimes maintain sanity."
- "Your heart is for understanding yourself, your head is for understanding the world. People often mix this up."
- "I don't know if I'm a big thinker or a small one: I like really big goals (changing the world) and really small steps (that I can do now)."
- "Irony is reading Roissy while lovingly bottle-feeding your newborn daughter."
- "A scientist can be tactful & PC with his mouth, but not his ears or eyes and certainly not his mind. Truth must reign there above all. For your first allegiance is either to Truth or to Ignorance. Worry about offending, and you are choosing Ignorance."
- Dancing is a vertical expression of a horizontal
desire. [Note: I was apparently not the first one to come up
- I'd rather be a hammer than a nail. But I'd
rather get nailed than get hammered.
- I've found two physical activities that really suit
my body, and they're perpendicular. - Patri Friedman, enthusiastic rock
- The Uploaders Prayer
Now I lay me down to sleep,
I pray this disk my brain to keep.
And if I die before I wake,
Thank god this backup I did make.
Some quotes from my relatives
- David Friedman
- "The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations."
- Milton Friedman
- If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand.
- I am favor of cutting taxes under any circumstances and for any excuse, for any reason, whenever it's possible.
- Hell hath no fury like a bureaucrat scorned.
- Concentrated power is not rendered harmless by the good intentions of those who create it.
- Inflation is the one form of taxation that can be imposed without legislation.
- Is it really true that political self-interest is nobler somehow than economic self-interest?
- Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program.
- The most important single central fact about a free market is that no exchange takes place unless both parties benefit.
Last Modified: July, 2004
Friedman / email@example.com